Friday 3 October 2014

Day 67 I’m a killer not a lover.


This week has been an interesting week on my short story blog. (What do you mean you’ve never heard of it? Click here to find out more.) Sometimes I like to set myself challenges and this week I’ve had the same title for all 5 stories but all the stories were different. 4 out of the 5 stories were exploring the idea of using guns and killing people / things. An interesting theme for an author and not a subject I normally deal with so a challenge. So of course the readership were maybe a bit surprised by the subject matter it being different from my usual writing wistfully about pretty girls in café (D.Tucker). But it has been interesting to see the comments I’ve received this week. People have messaged me asking if I am planning a murder or have committed murder, my sister even used her forensic psychologist background to say the story was alarmingly accurate - is the hidden meaning in that that she thinks I am capable of being a  murderer? So if I write about murder, people blur the lines between fact and fiction and think that the stories are autobiographical. 
But isn’t it strange then that when I write about love and romance no one accuses me of being a romantic or a great lover. When my characters are Don Juan or Casanova types no one believes that it is me who is the protagonist in those stories, there is no blurring of the lines then, oh no no  no, everything is clear cut, black and white, these stories are obviously figments of my imagination. I guess my readers must know me too well, either that or it’s because I’m just a grumpy so and so. 




7 comments:

  1. :-D there must be some strong reason for that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe just people don't comment on what is obvious:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always thought you are a Don Juan blurred by a grumpy man
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  4. And that's all clear now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought you're a hunter ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. that should be an archive story after almost two weeks of gloomy stories on the short story blog, half of which were about death. but yes I know these ones are not meant to be archive stories. Just a thought

    ReplyDelete